The Nicholo-Medvedsky monastery in New Ladoga
The regional city New Ladoga was founded in the neighborhood of the Nicholo-Medvedsky monastery which is one of the main sights of the Volkhov district even today.
The city appeared here only in 1704, and the monastery has been built much earlier – approximately on border of the 14th-15th centuries. The monastery was built on the peninsula of Medvedets, on the left river bank of the Volkhov river. Consecration of the monastery was made in honor of the patron of wanderers – Nicholas The Wonderworker. The bell tower of the monastery is visible from far away and is one of sights of New Ladoga.
The monastery was exposed to the attacks of conquerors more than once. For example, in the 80th years of the 16th century it seriously suffered during attack of the German soldiers, and it was not the only destruction.
Later, at the very beginning of the 18th century, by order of Peter the Great around cathedral there was a defensive shaft and a protective ditch, the remains of earth strengthenings can be seen in the territory of the monastery today.
In 1704 the monastery closed and the monks living there were sent to the next Old Ladoga in accord with Peter's order.
In the 30th of the 20th century the cathedral, as well as the majority of other temples, underwent repressions. Temples ceased to accept parishioners, however opened again after war and worked within 20 years. St. Nicholas Cathedral was the main temple of the monastery. The temple was well-known for Nikolay Ugodnik's icon, where he is represented with a ball in a hand. In the 20th the icon disappeared and wasn't found further.
Excursions to the Nicholo - Medvedsky monastery are available to guests of recreation facility "Staroladozhskaya Dacha" today. The monastery is not active, however keeps the status of a historical and cultural sight of the city.